Monday 3 October 2011

Pulsar Challenger GS 1X20 night vision

I'm a big fan of Nightvision technology, I've used it extensively in the past few years, mainly against Rats and I must admit, I couldn't go back to lamping now. I've had a number of units over the years, both digital, and 1st generation image intensifiers but my latest aquisition has so far, totally blown me away.
I managed to get my hands on Pulsars Challenger GS 1x20 add-on at the Midland gamefair and I wasted no time it getting it out into the field for a real world test, I'm not one for all this scientific mumbo jumbo in my reviews, if it works, it works but only by actually getting out with the item, can you really get a feel for what it's like.

First of all let me say this right now, this isn't a gen 1 unit. Pulsar call it a 'CF supergen' and while I have no idea what that means, I do know that it gives a much superior sight picture to any gen 1 unit that I have previously looked through. The image is pretty much perfect all the way to the edge and there is no 'fish eye' distortion that you'd normally associate with the older first generation units. The resolution seems higher, at least to my eyes and the whole unit screams quality. Using the dayscope adaptor  (DSA) to fit the unit to the back of your rifles telescopic sight is a doddle and once mounted, it's going nowhere so you don't have to worry too much about bumping it in the dark. I was using Pulsars own 200mw IR illuminator which is needed as the built in IR isn't powerful enough for the ranges we need. I could easily see 100 yards with it fitted to the back of my MTC Mamba Lite scope which is more than enough for Airguns.



I had it mounted to my trusty .177 Daystate Airwolf MCT and it only took a few short hours to impress me. I ended the night with 19 Rats and one unlucky Rabbit which is a pretty decent result for a maiden voyage with a new bit of kit. I found the unit easy enough to operate in the dark and I cannot see how they could really improve it in any way, especially considering the Challenger and the accompanying DSA can be picked up for around £280!

3 comments:

  1. hi phil hope your well . as wondering have you got any video using the gs120 ad just want to c it been used befor i get one . cos a been looking at the pulsar fatward too . thanks for your time .!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this PULSAR 1x20 also bought by my friends! Everyone is absolutely satisfied. A quality device, not expensive and good to see. We use additional IR- (850nm). We all put a DOS adapter on the rifles and that's how we use it. It is important that the optics be adjusted (preferably) 1.5 to 6x not larger than that. Everyone needs to know this! I use (2.5-10x56) Ideal Pulsar device, we have been using it for a long time ... My recommendations!

    ReplyDelete